the edge of frost



It's at this time of the year that I most feel the thin line between the seasons. Closer to the house, and under some trees the frost hasn't hit yet . The first frost was light enough that the remay that covered the eggplant and peppers was sufficient. But, what a tiny matter of degrees!.
Really, the line between the  living and the dead. 
I find it so amazing that there are the tender plants, and then, there are the hardiest of the hardys. Take lettuce for example. How is it that a tender red boston will take temps. in the high 20's, but a rugged plant like a pepper, or tomato will turn brown at 30 ? And basil, the slightest cold wind blowing on it turns the leaves brown. 
The tomatoes are gone. And the clean up has begun. First we  pull up the soaker hose, roll it up, mark the lengths, and store them for next spring.
Then the posts are removed and stacked.                                                                                                                     

Then the ground is tilled, manure spread and, weather permitting, a cover crop of oats is sown. 
I love this time of year.

Comments

hose adapters said…
Nice project! like you I also use soaker hose for my watering my garden. Anyway, I enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for sharing.

-seff-

Popular Posts